Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 04:10:35 +0300

On 17/06/2023 09:00, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
So what bothers me is whether we as the project should take another
such port upon ourselves, instead of leaving it to others to develop
and maintain it outside of the upstream project.  Because if we take
it upon ourselves, I don't see any way of making sure the Android port
will not go the way of w32 and NS soon enough, maybe the moment we
land it.

We shouldn't be afraid to deprecate and remove unmaintained ports. And we shouldn't (like Po already said) delay releases over them.

If we had a consensus on that, I guess the main concern that would remain is whether the Android port complicates the common code enough for it to be noticeable. Or, from another angle, whether removing the port will be a difficult operation because of having to excise those additions in the common code paths.

On the flip side, I suppose we should ask how many changes the Android port requires in the shared code at all. Because if there were none, maintaining the port in a separate repo, rebasing regularly (and perhaps automatically), would be a cake walk too.