Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 10:43:49 +0300

> From: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
> Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com,  hi-angel@yandex.ru,  arne_bab@web.de,  ams@gnu.org,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 08:21:25 +0100
>
> On Fri 23 Jun 2023 at 10:17AM +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Not in this project.  Here, the preference is the opposite one (but we
> > will gladly accept series as well).
>
> I know, I just wanted to update Po's impression of the wider ecosystem.
                                                               ^^^^^^^^^
(Expect a comment from RMS for using that word.)

The problem with that preference is that most contributors
misunderstand how to arrange the series correctly, and end up sending
series which require extra work, because the same places were modified
several times.  On top of that, the series doesn't really allow
applying only some of the patches, which is the main raison d'ĂȘtre of
the technique.

To correctly subdivide a large patch into a series, one must identify
changes in the changeset that are (a) independent, i.e., can be
applied without all the rest, and in any order; and (b) changes which
_make_sense_ as separate changes, so the project might consider
applying just them, even though the rest will be rejected.

What most people do instead is they provide a series where each patch
is a step towards the solution.  First, a patch with some refactoring,
then another patch with the first aspect of the solution, another
patch with the second aspect, etc.  Such series make no sense as a
series, because the patches are not really independent; instead, they
are _incremental_.  For example, it usually makes no sense to do the
refactoring if we aren't installing the changes which need it.
Moreover, this technique frequently leads to multiple patches touching
the same places several times, so when you review the first patch, you
are looking at code that will be modified later, and risk providing
comments that are irrelevant, because a later patch in the series
rewrites that code anyway, perhaps exactly in a way that you want to
tell the contributor to use.  Basically, the only sane method of
reviewing such "series" is to apply the entire series, then produce
the unified diffs from all of them, and than review those diffs
instead of the patch series.

Since the correct way of breaking patches into individual ones is hard
to explain, and requires good knowledge of the project's conventions
and practices to determine how to break the large patch, I find it
easier to ask contributors to not bother with series and submit a
single large patch.  IME, it's TRT in the majority of cases anyway,
especially with contributions that provide some minor change or fix,
and it definitely makes patch review much more convenient and easy
than the opposite preference.