Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 08:30:57 +0100

Hello,

On Fri 23 Jun 2023 at 10:04AM +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> When I started this discussion, I thought we'd want to learn from past
> experience, and expected some discussion of how to learn from the past
> and whether this case is somehow different or not.  Instead, all I
> hear is that the Android port will be a useful feature (true, but
> never a question in my eyes), and how we already made similar
> (mistaken?) judgments in other cases.  E.g., I point out that a
> significant part of the Android support is written in Java, so Emacs
> maintainers will need to be proficient in Java or rely on others for
> making decisions, and in response I'm told that we already have
> Objective C in the NS port.  IOW: we already made similar decisions in
> the past, so let's keep doing the same in the future as well.  Are we
> not supposed to learn from the past?  Are we not supposed to apply
> past experience to similar situations, not just reiterating the same
> decision-making processes with quite probably the same outcomes?

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that it is worth thinking about
this.  The point of disagreement is just that you're weighing the
badness of releasing Emacs with a broken port much more heavily than
anyone else, that's all.  I wouldn't go as far as Po and say that the
problem is "imaginary", just that it's less bad than you think.

--
Sean Whitton