Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 21:07:26 -0400

  > The main domain-specific knowledge for that port is how Android
  > systems are organized and work, and how application installation works
  > on those systems.  Such documentation cannot be usefully part of
  > Emacs, and the parts of it that can and should be in Emacs will have
  > to play the constant catchup game with the changes and developments in
  > the Android OS and environment, something that from my personal
  > experience with an Android-based smartphone changes a lot and at a
  > very fast pace.

It will have to be up to Android users that want to run Emacs.

                     And it doesn't help that the most crucial information
  > we need for making Emacs a reasonably well-behaved app on Android is
  > on the border of undocumented (if not over the border), as Android
  > AFAIU is not meant to be the host of such programs.

That's the stuff that would be useful to document in the Emacs Android
port.  The people who can write it are Android experts capable of
making that port work -- capable of figuring out how to make that port
work,

It seems unavoidable that, in the absence of such people, the port
could not be maintained.  The most we can do is invite such people to
show up and do the job.  Then it will be out of our hands, and we will
have no reason to feel bad if they don't.