Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:27:10 +0000

A request to add a Chinese input method for Termux:X11 can be found at https://github.com/termux/termux-x11/issues/147, it was closed three months ago, after the person who filed the request said, after testing the feature, that "it works perfectly".

The last follow-up in that thread is an image displaying a Chinese input method, with the composition functionality disabled, captioned ``a sad story''.

No, as anyone can see, the last follow-up in that thread is a reply from one of the Termux developers telling that user to use another touch keyboard to fix that problem. Someone requests a Chinese input method in Termux, the Termux developers implement it, the person who made the request tests it and tells that "it works perfectly", and you still claim it doesn't work, using the factoid that someone else who apparently did not configure their device correctly posted a comment in that bug thread? And I'm the one who "deliberately tries to mislead those who read this thread with irrelevant information"?

What do you mean? That page indicates that you can tap and swipe (with which you can scroll vertically or horizontally).

Swiping with two fingers is not convenient and conflicts with dragging to select text.

So your initial claim that Termux does not support touch screen devices and that you cannot scroll a window is false, it's only that scrolling with two fingers it not as convenient as scrolling with one finger? And I'm the one who "deliberately tries to mislead those who read this thread with irrelevant information"?

From the tone of your writing (not only here, also from your other interactions, over the past several months), I'm beginning to suspect that you have personal problems with me, and are deliberately trying to mislead those who read this thread with irrelevant information.

That sentence very much looks like a rhetorical trick to discredit everything I said and could say. I won't fall into that trap.

So unless you actually use Android, the various Emacsen that are capable of running there, and a good understanding of the code within the feature/android branch, please stay out of this thread.

If the only people who are welcome in this thread are those you describe, it would be a monologue between you and yourself. This thread was started by Eli, who wanted a "serious discussion" about the feature/android branch (sadly, it quickly derailed into a discussion about Emacs contributions in general).

I only mentioned a fact that should I believe be taken into consideration, which wasn't included in Eli's post, namely that Emacs can be (and is actually) used on Android devices without any of these changes. You tried to contradict that fact by telling that Emacs running under Termux / Termux:X11 is "unusable", "completely inadequate" and "broken".

So far however, the few features that you said work better with the feature/android branch compared to a stock Emacs running under Termux / Termux:X11 (the ability to use M-x yank-media in message-mode, scrolling windows with one finger instead of two fingers, a more convenient CJK input method (?)) do not seem to justify, at least to me, your judgement that Emacs running under Termux / Termux:X11 is "unusable" and "far from a substitute for the Android port".