Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 06:20:51 +0000

Indeed. There is another data point that should, I believe, be mentioned: users who want to run Emacs on an Android device can already do so, with both its TUI and GUI, without any changes whatsoever on the Emacs side. See for instance this five years old Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/9m76ak/termux_package_emacsx/. That post mentions the "XServer XSDL" X server; a year later the Termux folks started the development of their own X server implementation for Android, Termux:X11.

That's adequate to the same extent that Cygwin/X is adequate for running Emacs. Or actually much less adequate, seeing as that X server doesn't support input methods, clipboard data other than text, or touch screen devices. Try to scroll a window without a keyboard or mouse wheel.

Sorry, but that's wrong, or at the very least exaggerated, AFAICS. Termux does support input methods (see e.g. https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Touch_Keyboard), and Termux:X11 does of course support touch screen devices (see https://github.com/termux/termux-x11). Please be factual, and add pointers to some external places.

I did not check your claim about "clipboard data other than text", I don't even know what that means. I just tried to copy-paste a cat image from a browser (I tried both Firefox and Chrome) to Emacs on GNU/Linux, it did not work. And even assuming that minor feature would work on GNU/Linux and not on Android, it would make life of Android users slightly less convenient, which does not seem a problem in itself.

Also, that build is more or less broken:

https://github.com/termux/termux-packages/issues/10083

A single bug report indicating that "sometimes when copy pasting text in emacs-x it freezes with clock icon." is not synonymous to "more or less broken" in my book.