Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 23:16:10 +0000

However, Android is a proprietary platform, so it isn't one of the systems that we are required to target. I also don't think Android (and smartphones in general) will become the main, or even important, platform for Emacs any time soon.

Indeed. There is another data point that should, I believe, be mentioned: users who want to run Emacs on an Android device can already do so, with both its TUI and GUI, without any changes whatsoever on the Emacs side. See for instance this five years old Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/9m76ak/termux_package_emacsx/. That post mentions the "XServer XSDL" X server; a year later the Termux folks started the development of their own X server implementation for Android, Termux:X11.