Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 14:33:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> For how long will that single-person support last?
>
> Basically, any area in Emacs that requires extensive external domain
> knowledge that cannot be acquired reasonably easily by reading some
> freely-available documentation, and/or that's implemented in code not
> documented well enough, will become unmaintained if the single person
> who currently supports it goes on to greener pasture.

This seems to be the core question: how likely is it to find a new
maintainer with Java and Android experience if Po Lu may (have to?) drop
out?

Since Java has consistenly been among the 4 most widely known languages
for the past 22 years (in the Tiobe index:
https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/java/ ), finding someone with enough
Java skills to work on simple code should not be a problem. Finding a
person who enjoys starting into a complex Java codebase may be harder,
but if I understood Po Lu right, this won’t be required, because the
Java part is intentionally kept simple to prevent this.

For Android the situation is similar: Android is the most widespread
platform in the world, so the chance that there are Emacs developers who
have some Android experience from customer-projects is very high.

For Objective-C that’s different, because Objective-C is at position 24
in Tiobe right now and was replaced by Apple with Swift.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein