Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:08:34 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 19:38:05 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > You are not answering any of the questions I raised.
>
> Well, I've been reiterating the same stuff over and over, because you've
> been doing the same thing.

I'm pointing, time and again, to the main issues that caused me to
start this, in the hope that someone will finally relate to those
issues and starts discussing them, instead of dancing around them.

> I think that in the eyes of most people (me included), the downsides of
> releasing Emacs with a port that is broken is negligible, if the port
> itself is so unimportant that nobody steps up to fix it before the
> release is made.  So, in fact, this is very much an imaginary issue:
> either it will get fixed, or it will be broken -- and I've been trying
> hard to make sure it won't be broken.  This is how most free software
> treats ports to systems that aren't considered important, and is the
> only proven way to remain portable while development is being undertaken
> by volunteers.

This description doesn't fit the reality.  People who use the NS port
are quite disappointed by the problems that don't get solved, and I as
the maintainer cannot remain indifferent to their plight.  It breaks
my heart that I can do almost nothing to facilitate the solution of
those problems.  And mind you, no one thinks the NS problems are
"unimportant", we are just unable to fix them, even though we all
agree they are grave and should be fixed ASAP.

So you might be indifferent to such problems, or consider them
"unimportant", but IMO any responsible maintainer will not; I
certainly am not.  And if we envision such problems to happen sooner
rather than later to the Android port, we may wish to decide whether
we want this now, before the danger becomes real -- as it became with
other similar features.