Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:32:07 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org, yandros@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:50:54 -0400
>
>   > We shouldn't be afraid to deprecate and remove unmaintained ports. And
>   > we shouldn't (like Po already said) delay releases over them.
>
> Assuming that Po Lu continues to maintain the Android support, and
> that we don't delay releases over them, the only issue is whether the
> changes for Android cause trouble in the non-Android code that delays
> a release.  How likely is that?  People will be able to try out
> the changes on other systems and get problems fixed.  Once that is done,
> maybe such problems will be rare and not a significant obstacle to
> non-Android maintenance.

This side-steps the issue which actually prompted me to start this
thread of discussion.  The issue that bothered me is why should we
commit ourselves to including a significant feature which complicates
Emacs, if it might soon enough become unmaintained (due to several of
its aspects I described).  If we assume that this doesn't happen and
the port keeps being developed and maintained, there's nothing to
discuss, from my POV, because any useful feature is always welcome in
Emacs, and any breakage a new feature could cause is fixed soon
enough.