Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 07:37:43 +0000

Concretely speaking, this means that the same programs will be installed twice on the same device (which typically do not have a large storage capacity): in the /data/data/com.termux directory, and in the /data/data/org.gnu.emacs directory.

Concretely speaking, this also means that all programs installed in the /data/data/org.gnu.emacs directory need to be built from source, either on the Android device itself (but they typically have slow CPUs) or by cross-compiling them on a faster computer.

The termux-packages repository provides several scripts which make this process trivial. The result is a `bootstrap-aarch64.zip' that only needs to be extracted within Emacs.

If that process was as trivial as you say it is, distros would not exist. Users will have to do that every time they want to upgrade their packages. And the same programs will be installed twice on their device (unless they want to use Emacs exclusively).

If you want to argue over this, I ask you to first describe in detail the procedure used to execute binaries, and then how you propose to prevent it from being used, while keeping the ability to debug programs.

I won't do that.  I'm not a student and you're not a teacher here.

Which, btw, is a solution Termux will have to adopt at some point, because in the future, Android will no longer allow applications targeting API level 29 to be installed.

Not only will Termux not have to adopt that "solution", but they unequivocally said they will not do that, and they already have another solution, of which they say that it's the only correct solution.