Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Takesi Ayanokoji
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 13:45:11 +0900

> >> If I understand correctly, this means that you can't start Emacs from
> >> Termux, but a specially-built Emacs could be launched as any other
> >> Android app and then it could invoke Termux applications. Isn't the
> >> "installed alongside Termux" part a bit complicated? I mean, if it is
> >> not possible for Termux to build, package and install your port
> >> alongside their other packages, how the user could do that?
> >
> > By configuring Emacs with:
> >
> >   ./configure --with-shared-user-id=com.termux
> >
> > I think.  Or perhaps org.termux?

Based on my experience trying for several weeks,
https://github.com/ayatakesi/termux-emacs
https://qiita.com/ayatakesi/items/be1868d2f394d39f1e76

in addition to specify sharedUserId, it requires to change the Java
classpath(directory structure of java sourse files and classpath
references in sourse files).

The repository's README and article are written in Japanese, but I
believe it can be understood in English using Google Translate
(At least, its quality is  equivalent to the English text I would write.

Changes I made are all contained in the patch file.
https://github.com/ayatakesi/termux-emacs/blob/my/feature/android/my_emacs_feature_android.patch

> Today I tried your port again for about an hour. It is obvious that you
> use a hardware keyboard ;-) Emacs hides the on-screen keyboard too
> often, even with touch-screen-display-keyboad set to `t': just try M-x
> calc and do a simple operation. IMO Emacs should never hide the
> on-screen keyboard, moreover when clicking with the finger over the
> small clickable areas of menus and links is very difficult. And a quick
> method to show the keyboard would be very welcome (having the volume
> button trick to close Emacs is curious, I'm sure you have your reasons,
> but if the keyboard is shown and the user can press C-g, isn't it better
> than closing Emacs?)

In my case, it requires some changes to the source code in order to specify how the soft keyboard should be displayed.
https://github.com/ayatakesi/termux-emacs/blob/test-20230624/my/feature/android/test-20230624.patch

Thanks.