Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Takesi Ayanokoji
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 19:07:28 +0900

Hello, Po-san.

> Why is this necessary?
To be honest, I don't know why. At first, I tried just changing
sharedUserId and APK signature, but id that didn't work(cannnot access
files from both Emacs and Termux due to "Permission Denied").

> > In my case, it requires some changes to the source code in order to specify how the soft keyboard should be displayed.
> > https://github.com/ayatakesi/termux-emacs/blob/test-20230624/my/feature/android/test-20230624.patch
> With such a change, you won't be able to control the state of the
> on-screen keyboard.  That wastes a lot of screen space when you are not
> editing a buffer.
Yes, but I use soft keyboard that doesn't support force show/hide keyboard like Hacker's keyboard(which can show/hide keyboard even when focus is on no editable widget like Emacs' splash screen).

So after this patch applied, I use 'Back' buttons to hide keyboard, and 'Overview' to show hidden keyboard, again.

> BTW, Ayanokoji-san, would you be interested in volunteering to help
> maintain the Android port?
With pleasure.

Thanks.