Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:17:34 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> That said, if my understanding is correct, the port suffers from a
>> serious limitation (imposed by Android, of course) in that the user
>> can't install binaries and use them from Emacs on the usual way. An
>> Emacs that can't invoke git, gcc... is of little use to me, although I'm
>> sure that many users will find the port extremely convenient (Org users,
>> for instance.) Emacs on Termux has no such limitation, but it has its
>> own problems, starting with a terrible user interface.
>
> The issues with installing and running binaries has been completely
> solved: in fact, it is possible to build the entire Termux binary
> repositories with the prefix changed to `org.gnu.emacs', and to run
> the programs built directly from inside Emacs.

Building those binaries (and its dependencies) can be quite a chore. So
let's reverse the relation: can your port be built (toggling some
configure options, for instance) so it can be packaged as a regular
Termux binary? Which means that when executed from Termux the user would
have a "native" Android Emacs with access to all those external binaries
distributed by Termux.

Please excuse me if this question was already answered elsewhere, but
IMAO it is a very important point to clarify, as it would have a big
impact on usability.