Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 13:23:29 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 17:05:36 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > How many cases with such unwanted outcome do we need to see happening
> > before our eyes before we conclude that what happened in the past can
> > very well happen in the future, all the well-intentioned enthusiasts
> > notwithstanding, and before we start applying that conclusion to our
> > decision-making process?
> >
> > But maybe I'm the only one who is bothered by the fact that we never,
> > as a project, raise the head above the water level and look farther
> > into the future than just tomorrow or the day after?  In which case
> > I'll stop talking about this and accept the fact the others aren't
> > bothered.  After all, I don't own this project, I'm just the steward;
> > if the community decides to go with this, the community will bear the
> > consequences, whether good or bad.
>
> How many people will have to step up to maintain the Android port?
> Because if 5, 10, or even 20 people do so, they may all still leave for
> greener pastures.
>
> This problem is solved by making the Android port trivially
> comprehensible for programmers who are familiar with
> platform-independent parts of Emacs, not by counting the number of
> people who are currently involved.  I say we are already there.

You are not answering any of the questions I raised.

It is not useful to reiterate stuff you or others already wrote.  It
doesn't advance this discussion, which is basically stagnant in the
same spot from the first moment I started it.  No one took the issues
I raise seriously.  Which may mean I'm imagining difficulties where
there are none, or it may mean no one here wants to look at this issue
through the eyes of project management.