Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Takesi Ayanokoji
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:21:33 +0900

Hello,

the target audience of Android port.  Why would you use Emacs on
Android?

During the early days of smartphones, I had a hesitation to consolidate the
functionality of important business-related, phone feature into devices that could crash
due to game apps. However, eventually, I ended up abandoning dedicated
telephone devices and started using smartphones. The first programmable device
I ever laid my hands on was a small pocket computer called PC-1245. Even as I
started using desktop and laptop PC later on, I always have interest
in mobile devices like Zaurus.

 I feel that such small, high-performance devices embody the future I envisioned as a child. My smartphone has a Linux application called Termux installed, but even when I was involved in programming development, I never used the command line as much as I do in my daily life now since I first encountered the PC-Unix clone about 20 years ago. In addition to various applications for processing documents, images, music, and networks, even AI, I think it would be great to have programmable applications that centralize communication between the user and the device installed on the device.

(Above was wrote and translated from Japanese to English by chatgpt-shell on Emacs on Android duaring my lunch time.)

Thanks.