Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 10:06:40 +0300

> Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 04:39:31 +0300
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
> On 23/06/2023 15:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > This description doesn't fit the reality.  People who use the NS port
> > are quite disappointed by the problems that don't get solved, and I as
> > the maintainer cannot remain indifferent to their plight.  It breaks
> > my heart that I can do almost nothing to facilitate the solution of
> > those problems.
>
> If we don't add the Android port, would that help the would-be users of
> it (whether the selected alternative is to move it outside the core, or
> not develop it anymore)? Probably not.

It won't help them, but why does it have to be our problem to help
them?  They will need to seek the solution elsewhere (and at least
some solutions do exist, as was mentioned in this discussion).

> It seems more like you are concerned about having an extra thing on your
> plate, which is totally reasonable.

Extra thing on our plate, yes.  We had similar discussions about
smaller additions, like the tree-sitter grammars, for example.
Basically, anything that is a significant additional scope for Emacs
maintenance should IMO be scrutinized very thoroughly, precisely
because we have very limited resources.  And this case is no
different.