Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 04:39:31 +0300

On 23/06/2023 15:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
This description doesn't fit the reality.  People who use the NS port
are quite disappointed by the problems that don't get solved, and I as
the maintainer cannot remain indifferent to their plight.  It breaks
my heart that I can do almost nothing to facilitate the solution of
those problems.

If we don't add the Android port, would that help the would-be users of it (whether the selected alternative is to move it outside the core, or not develop it anymore)? Probably not.

It seems more like you are concerned about having an extra thing on your plate, which is totally reasonable. And we've talked in the past about trying to make Emacs more modular (meaning, moving more stuff out). Unfortunately, platform ports are not in the category of things that are easy to split off. Not currently, at least.