Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 09:19:30 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This description doesn't fit the reality.  People who use the NS port
> are quite disappointed by the problems that don't get solved, and I as
> the maintainer cannot remain indifferent to their plight.  It breaks
> my heart that I can do almost nothing to facilitate the solution of
> those problems.  And mind you, no one thinks the NS problems are
> "unimportant", we are just unable to fix them, even though we all
> agree they are grave and should be fixed ASAP.
>
> So you might be indifferent to such problems, or consider them
> "unimportant", but IMO any responsible maintainer will not; I
> certainly am not.  And if we envision such problems to happen sooner
> rather than later to the Android port, we may wish to decide whether
> we want this now, before the danger becomes real -- as it became with
> other similar features.

I'm not indifferent to those problems with the NS port: I hope that some
day, they will be fixed.  However, Emacs development _should_ be
indifferent to them, as its goal is to develop a high quality text
editor for the GNU operating system, and not specifically others.

Which seems especially reasonable, considering that the reality of
volunteer-driven development is that every port will usually be stuck
with one maintainer, at least until that maintainer steps down.

Thanks.