Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 23:34:07 +0300

On 24/06/2023 09:54 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[...]

> Lars, Stefan, Robert, Martin, Mattias, Philip, Dmitry, João, and all
> the rest of frequent contributors and developers: where are you?  I'd
> love to hear your opinions on this.

I certainly don't count as a frequent contributor (and never used
Android, except one tablet long ago), but still.  What concerns me is
the target audience of Android port.  Why would you use Emacs on
Android?  There're various Android devices around me - mainly phones and
TVs, but I wouldn't do any serious practical work on them.  If you have
Android phone/tablet, then to use Emacs you perhaps need a separate
keyboard and display.  I doubt that would cost less than a laptop
capable of running Emacs.

To me, a reasonable approach would be to distribute separate Android
port, and then, if there're enough people using it, consider including
Android support in core.

One more note regarding Android (mostly a rumour).  I work in online
cinema, and for years we had problems supporting various TV platforms.
It once appeared that more and more vendors switch to Android, and
that's good - less work for us.  But now most of them are just creating
their own custom platforms - to avoid licensing costs put on them by
Google.

Filipp.