Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:42:16 +0800

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> Indeed.  There is another data point that should, I believe, be
> mentioned: users who want to run Emacs on an Android device can
> already do so, with both its TUI and GUI, without any changes
> whatsoever on the Emacs side. See for instance this five years old
> Reddit post:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/9m76ak/termux_package_emacsx/. That
> post mentions the "XServer XSDL" X server; a year later the Termux
> folks started the development of their own X server implementation for
> Android, Termux:X11.

That's adequate to the same extent that Cygwin/X is adequate for running
Emacs.  Or actually much less adequate, seeing as that X server doesn't
support input methods, clipboard data other than text, or touch screen
devices.  Try to scroll a window without a keyboard or mouse wheel.

Also, that build is more or less broken:

  https://github.com/termux/termux-packages/issues/10083