Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 14:25:07 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: gregory@heytings.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:13:42 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Is this going to be your style in discussing issues pertaining to the
> > Android port?  If so, I will decide not to land it right here and now.
> > Because it's extremely likely that most people who will ask or post
> > opinions or comment on the Android support will not have "a good
> > understanding of the code within the feature/android branch", and so
> > this unkind response could be a preview of what we are in for.  And
> > that is unacceptable, from my POV.
>
> No, it's not -- the problem is that that research leaves much to be
> desired

People who are willing to look into an issue and bring up opinions or
suggestions aren't required to become experts before they speak up.
For example, if I'd allow myself such an attitude, I'd probably
refuse to speak with anyone about the display engine or the bidi code,
with the sole exception of Gerd.

> hopefully, you can understand why I get extremely frustrated when the
> nature of those problems is called into question, especially in the face
> of positive feedback by many users.

We as experts in some Emacs areas are required to suppress our
frustration in such cases and patiently explain why others are wrong.
the only justified exception is when the opponent behaves extremely
rudely.  Which was not the case here.