Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:33:54 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 20:09 +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:
>
> > Ideally, each commit in the repository should contain minimal functional
> > changes. It allows for easier code review at the moment and for better
> > figuring
> > out why some change was done later in the life of the project. Usually at
> > this
> > point I refer people to this old article from kernel HID subsystem
> > maintainer
> > and libinput creator
> > http://who-t.blogspot.com/2009/12/on-commit-messages.html
> > Old — but gold! 😄
>
> That's the purpose of ChangeLog, not the VCS.

Sorry, I didn't reply this one.

Well. You can use Changelog instead of VCS. But what's the point of VCS then? 😊
I mean, if you have changes, you have to know what *are* these changes. I can
imagine some weird workflow where each commit adds a line to Changelog and then
commit messages itself will be empty… But such workflow will be awkward to say
the least.