Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:02:10 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 15:51 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, arne_bab@web.de, ams@gnu.org,
> >         emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:28:01 +0300
> >
> > How do you get latest upstream code without access to VCS?
>
> You can request a snapshot tarball from Savannah.

Does it imply sending an email to Savannah admins? Because I'm browsing page
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/ and I don't see any link to a
tarball.

Either way, is it even a realistic usecase? When you develop you need to make
sure there's no conflicts. So every time you send patches, you rebase your local
version to make sure it's okay. And `rebase` is only possible with a VCS access.
So someone developing purely from a tarball seems to me like a case of a purely
academic interest.