Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:24:15 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 15:18 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>
> > Cc: arne_bab@web.de, ams@gnu.org, luangruo@yahoo.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:54:11 +0300
> >
> > > Separating them will be even more confusing: people will read one, but
> > > not the other, and tell us they didn't find something.
> >
> > Not necessarily. Let me reiterate: the chapter "Sending Patches" has two
> > different things: "How to send patches" and "What should patch contain". It
> > is
> > *already* the case, all I am suggesting is simply divide them with a title
> > (well, maybe a little bit of refactoring may be needed to make sure the two
> > parts has only relevant texts).
>
> A new contributor needs to know both.
>
> > Why would a person complain they didn't find text about patch content in
> > section
> > "how to send patches" if it belongs to the section right next to it "What
> > should
> > a patch contain".
>
> Because in an Info reader you don't necessarily see the "section right
> next to the current one".

I assume it's a question of markup. I don't know offhand what format is used for
this document, but I can tell that in the worst case a section title may be
created by simply putting a text in bold.

> > If these two sections are on the same page, a person would see them both,
> > especially so given the "how to send patches" section would be very short.
>
> You assume the contributors read a paper copy or a PDF version of the
> manual?

I am assuming that if a person doesn't know how to contribute to Emacs, they
will query a search engine about that. And search engine would send them to this
page
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Patches.html