Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:11:29 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 12:54 +0200, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru> writes:

> > > Like I said: we prefer a single patch for each changeset.  The
> > > problems presented by patch series are one reason.  And yet, we will
> > > never reject a patch series, even though it makes the process
> > > inconvenient and confusing.
> > >
> > > I don't see what else do we need to argued about here.
> >
> > Well, you see, the "sending patches" section has no mention that a series is
> > unwelcome. And Emacs is the unique project where a squashed patch with many
> > commits is preferred over a series.
>
> There is "When you have all these pieces, bundle them up in a mail
> message and send it to the developers."¹ which to me implies to send a
> single email.
>
> But it can easily get missed in the long text (datapoint for that: you
> missed it), that’s why I think the text shown to new contributors should
> get changed.

Well… yes, I did miss it. I see suggestions to have a change per patch (which
implies a series), but this sentence… Even now that I know the meaning, it reads
differently for me due to the context around it. It is not about the amount of
text on the page.

Well. Basically, the problem here is that this sentence just drowns among the
talk about sending "multiple patches" (e.g. 2nd paragraphs starts with "Every
patch…") and me knowing that in ML-managed projects you always send a series.

I also don't think there's a built-in way to send a series as a single message
via `git-send-email`. At least ChatGPT says there isn't, though I didn't exactly
study the man page to see if that's correct. And if a person has experience with
other ML-managed projects, they will likely send patches via `git-send-email`.

I think this phrase needs to be a separate point at the beginning, to emphasise
its significance.

But then, if this is true, this again makes contribution harder for people,
because this is different from every other ML-managed project, and creates
additional work to open your email client, and attach the patches.