Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:54:11 +0300

On Sun, 2023-06-18 at 14:32 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>
> > Cc: arne_bab@web.de, ams@gnu.org, luangruo@yahoo.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:14:55 +0300
> >
> > You missed my point. The section "how to submit patches" will become
> > significantly shorter. Because it will be separated from all the other
> > points
> > about what a patch should contain.
>
> Separating them will be even more confusing: people will read one, but
> not the other, and tell us they didn't find something.

Not necessarily. Let me reiterate: the chapter "Sending Patches" has two
different things: "How to send patches" and "What should patch contain". It is
*already* the case, all I am suggesting is simply divide them with a title
(well, maybe a little bit of refactoring may be needed to make sure the two
parts has only relevant texts).

Why would a person complain they didn't find text about patch content in section
"how to send patches" if it belongs to the section right next to it "What should
a patch contain".

If these two sections are on the same page, a person would see them both,
especially so given the "how to send patches" section would be very short.

(we can think of better sections naming, these two titles are just something I
made up offhand)

> Would you please trust me that I care about those instructions very
> much and take every opportunity to make them better, in every aspect?

Of course, this is why we're discussing them 😊