Re: question regarding my emacs package

From: ram
Subject: Re: question regarding my emacs package
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 19:28:42 +0000

got around to this. new repo is here: https://github.com/gitrj95/trail.el

renamed from breadcrumbs to trail, as per joao's suggestion, and changed the
semantics quite a bit. i had some questions:

-   i'm supporting "middle" truncation of the file path strings. i couldn't
find this in emacs libs, but for this purpose, i found truncation at the suffix
or prefix less useful than truncation in the middle. ie, i want to know the
file name and extension almost always and the root directory (especially in a
code context) almost always
-   i'm using markers to track relative positions instead of absolute
positions. i found that, especially in the code context, i wanted the
trail-mark to "know" that i've added code before it, but still point to the
function prototype i marked before instead of sliding. markers don't seem to be
persistable, so i had the absolute positions of the markers stored in the ring
that can be persisted, but default to corresponding markers in an associated,
private ring if those exist. on hook for buffer close, the absolute positions
are updated with the marker details. this seems like a fairly common thing to
want to do, so i'd hope that i didn't reinvent the wheel. again, i couldn't
find anything

also:

-   checkdoc passes
-   tested on emacs 27, 28, and 29

let me know if you have any questions, and please send over the fsf copyright
agreement when you have the chance

looking forward