fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] status of "occasional droped lines of output" bug 32

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] status of "occasional droped lines of output" bug 32
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:06:20 -0400

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Steve Steiner
(listsin)<address@hidden> wrote:

> I was more thinking of the various ssh types of ssh servers you might run
> into and where they might leave you file-system-wise.
>
> Like, can you even locally ssh into yourself on Windows?  Are most people
> running linux boxes running ssh servers?  I do on my servers, but not on my
> dev laptop, for example.

Oh, I see. Yes, that's obviously a concern, but it's usually easy to
install the SSH server on Linux, it comes preinstalled on OS X and is
a checkbox away from activation, and I assume it's possible to install
on Windows -- and Windows is a relatively small portion of the
userbase anyway. (Or so I assume, going by the frequency of
win32-related patches :)) So as long as the docs clearly state "to run
the test suite you must have an SSH server on your system" I'm not
super duper worried.

And filesystem-wise, I'd assume that __file__ and os.path are
cross-platform enough to deal with this as well. Barring that, the
only problem after that would be an SSH server configured to do
something funny with your paths, but again that's the sort of thing
that is uncommon and hopefully anyone with that config would have done
it themselves and thus be aware of it ;)

Best,
Jeff