fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] status of "occasional droped lines of output" bug 32

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] status of "occasional droped lines of output" bug 32
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 18:46:22 -0400

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Steve Steiner
(listsin)<address@hidden> wrote:

> We could waste a  _lot_ of time trying to create a mock
> object at the right level and we might find ourselves doing it more than
> once.  The advantage of a live server is that it actually exercises the
> whole chain, not just up to the mocked object.

I've definitely considered this; I'll probably do a "best effort" at
getting network level testing without having a live setup, but if that
fails I probably will just use a restricted user on a specific system,
or (possibly better) have the tests ssh to "localhost" and use
non-destructive commands when testing.

The benefit of this latter approach is that anyone could run the tests
-- I'd be sad if I had to have a test suite that only works when I run
it, or can't be run offline :) Downside is that it might be harder to
know what the output of e.g. "ls -l $HOME" would be, i.e. every system
is different. Offhand I'm thinking of having the test suite find out
where on the filesystem it is, and to do stuff like "ls -l
/path/to/where/fabric/seems/to/be" which might solve that problem.

It will be an exciting problem solving situation, for sure.

-Jeff