Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Supermicro X7DBR-3 CPU Temperatur Sensors

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Supermicro X7DBR-3 CPU Temperatur Sensors
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:56:49 -0800

Hey Werner,

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 02:33 -0800, Werner Fischer wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
>       * one of our customers discovered another Supermicro system where
>         FreeIPMI has currently no product ID information to display the
>         OEM CPU temp sensors (he tried up to
>         freeipmi-1.0.2.beta2.tar.gz)
>       * It is a 6015B-3R
>         http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/6015/SYS-6015B-3R.cfm
> with a X7DBR-3 mainboard
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000P/X7DBR-3.cfm
> Below I have attached his output of bmc-info.
>
> My questions
>      1. Can you add the Manufacturer-ID/Product-ID for the OEM CPU temp
>         sensors for this board? (As it is a X7-board it has IPMI not
>         onboard (like the X8-boards do), but it uses the AOC-SIMSO(+)
>         add on card for IPMI. Therefore the Manufacturer ID is Peppercon
>         (not Supermicro).)

Hmm.  I'll think about how to do this.  Since Peppercon can sell to
other customers, I'm not sure how to tell it's definitely a Supermicro
motherboard.

>      2. If it is not too difficult for me and if it could lower your
>         necessary work: Maybe you can tell me where the
>         Manufacturer-ID/Product-ID are matched in the FreeIPMI code for
>         the OEM sensors (so I could try add them myself in the source
>         and I could send you directly patches)

It can be difficult since there are many permutations and ways OEM
extensions can be handled.  The Supermicro ones are particularly unique
and have a special case.  (And the fact the above motherboard doesn't
even list Supermicro as the vendor makes it more difficult.)

If you're interested in learning, the beginning steps are the files in
libfreeipmi/include/freeipmi/spec/, libfreeipmi/src/spec, and
libfreeipmi/src/util (this is just for sensors, not for SEL
extensions :-).

Al