Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Recreating SDR cache before reading sensors informa

From: Dinh Khac Thanh
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Recreating SDR cache before reading sensors information
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:29:10 +0800

Hi Kaiwang,

I found out that It works if I reopen the cache before getting the sensor data. Thanks anyway.

Best regards
Thanh

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Dinh Khac Thanh <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Kaiwang,

Thanks for your reply. I tested with/without recreating the cache before getting the sensor data. It works fine when the cache is recreated, e.g:
CPU1 Temp 46 C nominal
CPU2 Temp N/A unavailable
Fan11 N/A unavailable
Intrusion N/A unavailable
PS Status N/A unavailable

but not when the cache is reused:

PS Status N/A unavailable
PS Status N/A unavailable
PS Status N/A unavailable
PS Status N/A unavailable

The number of records in both cases are 30.
The code is based on ipmi-sensors.c

Best regards
Thanh

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Kaiwang Chen <address@hidden> wrote:
2012/2/24 Dinh Khac Thanh <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a monitoring application that needs to get sensor
> information via IPMI every 10 seconds. I have skimmed through the source
> code for ipmi-sensors to learn how to use freeipmi.
>
> My question is: If I am using the same IPMI session to get sensor data, do I
> need to recreate the SDR cache every time before reading the data?

I believe not. The cache is checked before real ipmi traffic, and it's
a noop when the cache exists and is up to date. There is one sdr cache
per ipmi node, which defaults  to
~/.freeipmi/sdr-cache/sdr-cache-<localhost>.<ipminode>

The logic resides in common code path defined in
common/toolsdr/tool-sdr-cache-common.c:sdr_cache_create_and_load(),
which is called by run_cmd_args(), which in turn called by
_ipmi_sensors(). You can find _ipmi_sensors as callback in main
function. All of them are in ipmi-sensors/ipmi-sensors.c, in the
trunk(revision 8603).

> Best regards
> Thanh

Thanks,