Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Anuj Verma
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 19:11:30 +0530

> I don't think this is an issue.  For other rendering modes like LCD
> there are similar requirements, and platforms that are going to use
> SFDs certainly have plenty of memory.  It would be nice, however, if
> you can add this constraint to the documentation, and, if possible,
> also add a logging message that either predicts the necessary
> (approximate) amount of memory before the computation, and/or the
> actual memory use after generating an SFD.

Alright, I will add a log message about the exact memory used after
generating the SDF. Is there any profiling tool built into FreeType?
If there is the exact time can be logged as well.

> Don't worry about changing the internals!  You know best what to do,
> and we can discuss later whether your solution is the right approach.
> Regarding the second issue I think that you probably have to create a
> second renderer that shares most of the code with the original one.
> Alexei?

Okay, I will probably only need to remove this case statement.
```
case FT_GLYPH_FORMAT_BITMAP:   /* already a bitmap, don't do anything */
   break;
```
And yeah I like the idea of creating a seperate renderer, since it won't
be used much. The only cases I can think of where SDF from bitmap
will be generated is either for bitmap fonts or for glyphs with overlapping
contours( until I add something to remove the overlapps ). So, if it is a
separate module it can easily be disabled.

>> I have updated the demo, added bilinear filtering, shape
>> reconstruction and has all optimization modes which can be toggled.
>> I have attached the new list of keys.
>> (https://github.com/preversewharf45/ft2sdf-demo)
>
> Looks excellent!  Some items for the wishlist of `ftstd`:
>
> * A help menu showing the list of keys.
>
> * Easy navigation to get to large glyph indices easily.

I will later create the demo from scratch, so will add these.

> * It probably makes sense to not allow 'Width' values in
>   reconstruction mode to be larger than '(Spread - 1)' or something
>   similar, emitting a warning if this threshold is reached.  Otherwise
>   you get white boxes without a warning.

Yeah, I forgot about that. The `Width' shouldn't exceed `(Spread - 1)'
Thanks for pointing that out, I will add this while creating the new demo.

Thanks,
Anuj