Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 23:38:17 -0400

Hi Anuj,

> > Alexei?
>
> Okay, I will probably only need to remove this case statement.
> ```
> case FT_GLYPH_FORMAT_BITMAP:   /* already a bitmap, don't do anything */
>    break;
> ```

Ok to remove. This only optimizes mistaken calls to FT_Render_Glyph on
bitmap fonts. A related question is whether we need FT_LOAD_TARGET_SDF
for FT_Load_Glyph?

Indeed, the bitmap-to-sdf renderer should be separate as it hardly
shares anything.

I would be less worried about FT_Property_Set if FreeType reserved the
right to remove (ignore) or change properties when it is reasonable to
do so, i.e. properties should not be considered a part of API.

Alexei