freetype

Re: Fonts looking washed out with newer freetype versions

From: mcxds
Subject: Re: Fonts looking washed out with newer freetype versions
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 17:44:39 +0100

>> Hello, I experience fonts rendered with the newer versions of
>> FreeType as looking pale/'washed out' and somehow blurrier on
>> my low DPI screens compared to their rendering with FreeType
>> version 2.6.1 (with FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING
>> enabled).
>
> That "pale/'washed out'" may depend with on the gamma adjustment
> you apply to the generated pixmaps when rendering them on the
> target.

Has the value for the gamma adjustment been changed in FreeType after
version 2.6.1?

>> [...] My fontconfig settings are slight hinting, rgb subpixel
>> structure and default lcdfilter. [...]
>
> Or it could be that you should try another filter, or write your
> own, as they are compromises between a rock and a hard place. It
> is hard to tell from vague descriptions like "somehow blurrier".

I have tried the legacy and the light filter and I also have tried the
old default LCD filter (before FreeType version 2.6.2). But none of that
did do the trick. So, as I understand it, the problem cannot be the
filter alone, as I was fine with how fonts were rendered with FreeType
version 2.6.1 and the old default LCD filter.

For images see my reply to Werner's E-Mail.

Peter