freetype

Re: Fonts looking washed out with newer freetype versions

From: Peter
Subject: Re: Fonts looking washed out with newer freetype versions
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 12:42:12 +0100

Am 09.03.21 um 11:55 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

>> Here are two more images that contrast the rendering output of
>> FreeType 2.6.1 with that of a patched version of FreeType 2.10.1
>> using the old default LCD filter.  The filter definitely has a
>> conceivable impact that brings the output closer to that of FreeType
>> 2.6.1.  But there are still differences especially concerning the
>> saturation of the outer blue shades of the glyphs (some of which I
>> have marked).
>
> Have you actually played around with the `ftview` tool?  Right now,
> this is the only recommendation I can give to exactly find out what's
> going on...
>

>     Werner

Yes, I did. I tried to reproduce the output of version 2.6.1 of the
'ftview' demo tool with version 2.10.1. But even with the exact same
settings (hinting, gamma, LCD filter etc.) the output that version
2.10.1 produces differs from that of version 2.6.1.

The fonts rendered with version 2.6.1 are darker and their stems
thicker. I'm not sure how to describe this properly, but I also perceive
the fonts rendered with version 2.6.1 as sharper than their counterparts
rendered with version 2.10.1.

I have attached several images and comparisons of the respective outputs
that hopefully make this difference apparent. The text strings in the
comparison images are taken from the two 'ftview' outputs. The upper
string is in each case taken from the output of version 2.6.1 of the
'ftview' demo tool and the lower one from version 2.10.1.