freetype

Re: Fonts looking washed out with newer freetype versions

From: Rob
Subject: Re: Fonts looking washed out with newer freetype versions
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 12:12:47 +0000

Having pixel-peeped a lot of freetype text, the differences you are seeing look
very similar to that between a 5-tap beveled filter (current default), and
light or no filtering.

The lower "orange/blue" is what I would expect, and is pleasant to look at. The
upper "yellow" is a harsher rendering. So perhaps you have a personal
preference for lighter or no-filtering which can easily be changed in your font
config.
My general opinion, is that FreeType 2.10 with the default filter gives a
perfectly balanced rendering on a range of machines I run it on. In fact I am
amazed they managed to tune it so nicely.