gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:12:05 +0300

Mike Thomas ?????:
Hi Camm.

| > ;(trace new-append-directories)
| > ;(trace append-directories)
| > ;(trace compute-system-path)
| >

| Where are these functions?

In the Maxima lisputils/defsystem.lsp those functions stick the system
directory and filename portions together - the function
"new-append-directories" contains the lines we are trying to debug.

| > | 1) It looks like the problem starts here, is there a carriage return
| > |    at the front of the filename?
| >
| > Not in the system definition file at least.  It's all random
| anyway and the
| > problem has been extant for a long time now.
| >

| No, clearly not in the sys def file.  I was thinking of setting a
| breakpoint in gdb at the line reporting this load and conditionalizing
| the breakpoint on the first char in ...->st.st_self being \r or \n.

The problem I'm having with this and the debugging suggestion below is that
running the same sequence of operations under the debugger produces no
error.

(Please don't take this as criticism of your suggestions, by the way, I'm
extremely glad you're offering them!!!)

| OK, my suggestion would be to break at this error trap, find the
| address of the bad string (i.e. ...->st.st_self), 'watch *(char
| *)<address>)' and rerun.  You'd need to put the maxima lisp compile
| commands in a separate file and load it.
|
| > I'll specify gcc 3.3.1 for the release.
|
| This one is important, IMHO.  Could someone please give me the details
| of the failure with 3.3.3?  All I know now is that 'it doesn't work'.
| Would really appreciate a gdb session showing the failure.  Vadim, if
| you could help here too, it would be most appreciated.

I'll continue to think on this stuff.

Cheers

MIke Thomas.

Today trying to debug pathname problem I've got
some new strange result (latest Maxima and GCL 2.6.1 CVS, gcc 3.3.1,
binutils 2.15.90 20040222). Maxima build fails but in quite different fashion, things even don't come close to compiling any files
$ make
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/vadim/maxima/src'
test -d binary-gcl || mkdir binary-gcl
test -d binary-gcl/numerical || mkdir binary-gcl/numerical
test -d binary-gcl/numerical/slatec || mkdir binary-gcl/numerical/slatec
gcl -batch -eval '(progn (load "../lisp-utils/defsystem.lisp") (funcall (intern "OPERATE-ON-SYSTEM" :mk) "maxima" :compile :verbose t))' && \ gcl -batch -eval '(progn (load "../lisp-utils/defsystem.lisp") (funcall (intern "OPERATE-ON-SYSTEM" :mk) "maxima" :load :verbose t) (when (fboundp (quote si::sgc-on))(si::sgc-on t)) (si:save-system "binary-gcl/maxima"))'

Warning:
REQUIRE is being redefined.
Can't find system named "maxima".

Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
The same Maxima sources with earlier GCL 2.6.1 CVS (2004.04.05)
produces usual pathname error.  Maybe the same problem shifted
to another place?

--
     Vadim V. Zhytnikov

      <address@hidden>