gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Documentation strings.

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Documentation strings.
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:44:58 +1000

Hi Cliff.

| Is the issue documenting the lisp code in GCL?  If so the albert doc
| package might be of some interest?  http://albert.sf.net  I don't know
| if it is appropriate for this application but it does have nice output.

Thanks for this reference as I hadn't heard of Albert.  It is similar to the
Glasgow Haskell Compiler (GHC) tool Haddock

  http://www.haskell.org/haddock/

At the heart of my thoughts though, were certain macros in the GCL source
which have an argument devoted to the traditional Lisp doc string.

| I hope someday to expand the albert package somewhat so I can add
| (albert-user-docstring "") and (albert-docstring "") distinctions, in
| order to have both user and programmer level documentation in the
| source code where appropriate.  It might also be fun to teach it to use
| cl-pdf to directly generate pdf documentation :-).  Ah if only I had
| the time.

Sounds good.  One of my aims is to see GCL in a sufficiently compliant state
to build CL-PDF on Windows - after that I will feel safe to retire from GCL
development and go back to areas of more immediate interest to me (notably
GHC).

Cheers

Mike Thomas.