Re: [Gnash] Extreme CPU usage

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Extreme CPU usage
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:54:28 +1000

Unit3 wrote:

> Ahhh well, you should have mentioned you're on Ubuntu to begin with.
> Ubuntu is actually easier, if you install the "restricted-modules"
> package for your kernel, and also install xorg-driver-fglrx, you'll get
> an Ubuntu packaged and tested version of ATI's binary driver on your
> system.

This is what I have now.

> You can then run ATI's setup utility (something like
> fglrxconfig) to modify your xorg.conf. The only key thing there is to
> use the kernel's AGP driver (agpgart), not the AGP driver internal to fglrx.

I'll check this out.

> If you need help, just let me know, I've been fighting with ATI cards
> under Linux for years. ;)

I wish one or the other of Nvidia or ATI would finally get a damn clue
and release proper open source drivers.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo
"I have long argued that the entertainment industry doesn't want
people to have computers. Computers give users too much capability,
too much flexibility, too much freedom. The entertainment industry
wants users to sit back and consume things. They are trying to
turn a computer into an Internet Entertainment Platform, along the
lines of a television or VCR. This bill is a large step in that
direction."  -- Bruce Schneier