Re: [Gnash] Extreme CPU usage

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Extreme CPU usage
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:28:47 +1000

Unit3 wrote:

> Ahhh well, you should have mentioned you're on Ubuntu to begin with.
> Ubuntu is actually easier, if you install the "restricted-modules"
> package for your kernel, and also install xorg-driver-fglrx, you'll get
> an Ubuntu packaged and tested version of ATI's binary driver on your
> system. You can then run ATI's setup utility (something like
> fglrxconfig) to modify your xorg.conf.

OMG! I ran fglrxconfig (what a PITA in comparison to the Debian/Ubuntu
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org) and it generated an xorg.conf which I
carefully copied over (making sure I saved the old one).

However, when I restarted X, the fonts were screwed and I still
didn't have direct rendering. So, I switched back to the Ubuntu
xorg.config.

> If you need help, just let me know, I've been fighting with ATI cards
> under Linux for years. ;)

I give up. If I want to play with gnash I'll use my laptop which has a
Nvidia card which just works. ATI can go jump.

Thanks for thelp anyway.

Cheers,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo
"The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to
explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first
cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing
is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window."
- Stephen King