gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ungoogled chromium reported in Guix and unremoved

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ungoogled chromium reported in Guix and unremoved after 8 months
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 01:43:07 +0300

address@hidden wrote:

>>> Yes, the other links I gave.
>>
>> The other link (the only one) is [0].  It was never mentioned in the
>> bugreport, as far as I see.  And I do not understand why it should be — the
>> relevant part of page it leads adds nothing to the issue.
>>
>> [0] https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:main:chromiums_freedom_flaws
>
> It is a better summary.

Let’s see.

| * Queries to Google
|
| By default, Chromium source code still has many lines of code that makes
direct internet connections to Google.

Is not this why the Chromium flavour Guix uses was dubbed ‘ungoogled’?

Anyway, this is not a freedom issue.  Next.

| * Pre-built Binaries
|
| By default, Chromium still includes some pre-built binaries to aid in faster
compiling.

Where?  I do not see any.  Next.

| * DRM and Proprietary Codecs
|
| Chromium supports the use of Widevine DRM

Nope, cf. bug #34565.

| Adobe Pepper Flash, and third-party codecs which are nonfree.

This is not an issue.

| * Privacy problems
|
| While not specific to free software...

Yes, indeed: it is not about being free software.  Nex...  Ah, there is no next.

> None of those issues have been solved

So, in summary: there was one issue, and it had been solved.