gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ungoogled chromium reported in Guix and unremoved

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ungoogled chromium reported in Guix and unremoved after 8 months
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:03:35 +0200

Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> This the bug report in Guix:
> http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/34565

that bug report is about "ungoogled-chromium may contain Widevine DRM"

it is implicit, but I *must* stress it, that this means
"ungoogled-chromium Guix package" (the package definition is in Guile
and is almost human readeable)

this bug report was deeply analyzed by several Guix team members,
I contributed a little bit (I am not a mainteiner of Guix), and now it's
closed since ungoogled-chromium distributed as part of Guix does *not*
contain Widevine DRM

there are other bug reports about ungoogled-chromium in Guix:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;include=subject%3Achromium;package=Guix
and all DFSG related ones was addressed in a timely manner

> This is the analysis of Chromium Ungoogled and Chromium by Hyperbola:
> https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:main:chromiums_freedom_flaws

Interesting analysis, I'm almost sure all the issues pointed in that
analisys are _well_ addressed in ungoogled-chromium from Guix, if you or
any other person find some *specific* issue in that package please file
a proper bug report via address@hidden

AFAIK all Guix mainainers are working hard to keep Guix FSDG compliant,
if you want to help please point to *specific* issues

> I would like the FSF to take a stance on this immediately. I think a
> week is more than enough, considering that this issue has been analyzed
> before. I feel that a distro that has a freedom critical bug should not
> take such a long time delay to correct it.

You are wrong, http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/34565 is not a freedom
critical bug

Neither this https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34605

[...]