gnu-linux-libre

[GNU-linux-libre] ‘FSDG-free’ is a phrase to avoid (was: outstanding wor

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] ‘FSDG-free’ is a phrase to avoid (was: outstanding workgroup conflicts)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 15:32:46 +0300

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:
> 1) is the debian kernel FSDG-free?
> FSDG-free

I’m very disappointed to see this ugly collocation becoming so widespread here,
so it started, as @address@hidden demonstrated us, contaminate the word ‘free’
as in ‘free software’ by itself.  This is definitely not, what RMS with his
careful use of language would approve.

I understand, that it’s probably calqued from ‘DFSG-free’, but that phrase is
okay — DFSG is a criteria for free software in general, while FSDG is not.  So
it may be, say, ‘FSDG-compliant’ or ‘FSDG-ready’, not ‘FSDG-free’.