gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ‘FSDG-free’ is a phrase to avoid

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ‘FSDG-free’ is a phrase to avoid
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 18:59:38 -0700

El 2019-10-13 18:30, Dmitry Alexandrov escribió:
> Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m very disappointed to see this ugly collocation becoming so widespread
>>> here, so it started, as @address@hidden demonstrated us, contaminate the
>>> word ‘free’ as in ‘free software’ by itself.  This is definitely not, what
>>> RMS with his careful use of language would approve.
>>>
>>> I understand, that it’s probably calqued from ‘DFSG-free’, but that phrase
>>> is okay — DFSG is a criteria for free software in general, while FSDG is
>>> not.  So it may be, say, ‘FSDG-compliant’ or ‘FSDG-ready’, not ‘FSDG-free’.
>>
>> This provides no useful information.
>> It is centered on me
>
> How is it centered on you?  You are by no mean the only one, who is
> used to use this misleading phrase.

You have cited my email. Even if you cited anyone else which disagrees
with you, your arguments pointing to people instead of the points
themselves, only discredit you.

>> The policy is what is in discussion and has not called for the questioned
>> parties to argue against the case makers. The FSF is the one which should
>> make the calls for freedom
>
> Sorry, I failed to grasp the point.  Could you reiterate in other words?

The questioned parties need no lawyer. They should either negotiate with
the questioners or get a pronouncement from FSF about the FSDG about
these topics (freedom of those packages).