gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ‘FSDG-free’ is a phrase to avoid

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] ‘FSDG-free’ is a phrase to avoid
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 11:42:03 -0700

El 2019-10-13 07:32, Dmitry Alexandrov escribió:
> bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:
>> 1) is the debian kernel FSDG-free?
>> FSDG-free
>
> I’m very disappointed to see this ugly collocation becoming so
> widespread here, so it started, as @address@hidden demonstrated
> us, contaminate the word ‘free’ as in ‘free software’ by itself.  This
> is definitely not, what RMS with his careful use of language would
> approve.
>
> I understand, that it’s probably calqued from ‘DFSG-free’, but that
> phrase is okay — DFSG is a criteria for free software in general,
> while FSDG is not.  So it may be, say, ‘FSDG-compliant’ or
> ‘FSDG-ready’, not ‘FSDG-free’.

This provides no useful information. It is centered on me, making it a
personal case and not a policy case.

The policy is what is in discussion and has not called for the
questioned parties to argue against the case makers. The FSF is the one
which should make the calls for freedom, which is what free software is
made to give users. The questioned parties should find consensus instead
of trying to make more division with this type of attitude.