Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: cgoban1 maintainership

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: cgoban1 maintainership
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:56:00 -0700

Kevin Sonney wrote:

> Teun -
>
> I've asked William if I might take over as maintainer for
> cgoban1. As he has accepted, I thought it best to contact
> you directly before blindly committing. fixes/patches/updates. *grin*

I'm glad CGoban1 has a maintainer. If you set up a mailing list
please send an announcement to address@hidden

There are a couple of issues with CGoban which I would like
to mention.

(1) When traversing an sgf tree with variations, if you
click on a board position, a new variation is opened,
EVEN IF THERE IS ALREADY AN EXISTING VARIATION with the
given move. This is not what you really want to
do. Instead, you should go to the existing variation.
Only open a new node if the move does not yet match
any existing variation. I can't tell you exactly how
to fix this but I think it involves a change to the
function fwdPressed() in editBoard.c. Before calling
editToolWin_newActiveNode, search the existing nodes
for the move in question.

For small sgf trees this is a minor inconvenience
but for large trees the daughter nodes may not all be
visible in the CGoban Tools window and it's a real pain
that CGoban doesn't Do The Right Thing. According to
Bill Shubert other people have also asked for this
change. I'm cc'ing Bill Shubert in case he has anything
to add or to correct me on this point.

(2) It would be good if GTP (Go Text Protocol) support
could be hacked into CGoban1. You can probably get
help for this from the GNU Go and GTP lists.

The GTP and GNU Go home pages:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gunnar/gtp/
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/devel.html

Daniel Bump