Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: removal of value()s from patterns.db

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: removal of value()s from patterns.db
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:23:26 -0700

> When I was working on the strategic bonus, I got a FAIL that was due
> to an explicit pattern setting a value for a move to 30.  I think it
> was ED45.  Removing this value, fixed the FAIL.

I reposted this patch at devel.html with increased context so that the
patterns can be seen.

> ./regress.sh . trevora.tst
> 470 unexpected PASS!
> ./regress.sh . strategy2.tst
> 79 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'N3', got 'Q6'

I don't think the value(30) in ED45 should be taken out. It is
valued slightly less than a J pattern in a situation where
it is urgent that a move be made to prevent W from pushing
through and cutting. In strategy2:79 it is possible that the
hane at R4 is better than N3 but actually this is not so
clear. In any case the move at Q6 is not good here. This
pattern prevents a tenuki which is almost always a serious mistake.

As for the rest of these patterns we should look at them
case by case.

Dan