Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: removal of value()s from patterns.db

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: removal of value()s from patterns.db
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:01:48 -0700

> > It may always be a problem that such patterns tend to be to general, and
> > I'd prefer to think of all these high fixed value patterns as temporary
> > workarounds. E.g. it would be nice if GNU Go could actually understand
> > the problem in situations as in this handtalk game. With the new
> > connection code it may actually be possible to tackle this. (Note that in
> > the handtalk game, C17/C13/C10 are incorrectly amalgamated.)
>
> I whole-heartedly agree about this.

I agree that it would be better if these valuations were not needed
or if they could be implemented in a way that a more sophisticated
GNU Go could use flexibly. I think we're not at that point yet.

What I think we should do with Inge's patch is to treat it as
a list of patterns that can be reviewed.

Dan