Re: [gnugo-devel] games against 3.3.16

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] games against 3.3.16
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:24:05 +0200 (CEST)

Gunnar:
> SP Lee wrote:
> > You are right. The J pattern set the minimum value of this move to 35.
> > I would modify the move valuation in this case, thus if a dragon is in
> > critical condition, trust OWL analysis instead of the Joseki moves
> > unless OWL analysis doesn't have any result.
>
> I don't think this is a feasible approach. Which dragons should we
> care about? How large do they have to be? Joseki moves are usually
> joseki for a reason, e.g. sacrificing some stones in exchange for
> outside influence.

Well, apart from classical corner joseki moves, I somewhat concur
that we should rethink how much we trust our patterns:

1. We all know the problems about fixed minimum move values by know.
2. Maybe we should check the move safety independently, and not
rely on the patterns for this. (I'd guess there are hundreds of patterns
that would need an O classification or similar to correctly guarantuee
the safety that we currently take for granted.)

Arend